By: Virginia Cady
AUA Communications and Social Media Intern
“How do I stay safe while traveling abroad?” Here’s a good list of tips to keep you safe wherever your travels may take you.
1. Make sure you are up-to-date with all of your vaccines (country specific).
2. Register with the embassy so they know when you will be abroad and where.
3. Maintain awareness of your surroundings:
-note entrances and exits
-note where the police station and hospital are
-note a safe public space you can go in an emergency
-know what is going on in the country, observe local media
-know what would be considered “abnormal” in a given situation or location
-have someone in-country you can check in with and keep updated on your whereabouts
-be aware of pickpocketing, don’t keep all your valuables in one place
4. Personal Conduct:
-don’t become so comfortable in your environment that you act recklessly
-be aware that alcohol and being out late are common factors in potentially dangerous situations
-don’t walk around in a large group
5. If you find yourself in a potentially dangerous situation:
-assess what is going on
-check in with your contact
-Fact Sheet Compiled by the Peace Corps on dangerous situations while abroad. http://unofficialambassadors.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Security-Incident-Facts-and-Statistics-U.S.-Peace-Corps-Volunteer-Safety-Report-2009.pdf
-The Overseas Security Advisory Council’s Travel Safety Reference Guide http://world.utexas.edu/forms/ioc/osac-travel-safety-reference.pdf
- CDC Traveler’s Health Website http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/